Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Linux Targets in a Windows Domain

From: "Doyle, Jason \(10090\)" <jason.doyle () protiviti com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 12:45:43 -0700

When performing an internal penetration test of a windows domain with an objective of acquiring domain administrator
credentials and/or credit card information, what is considered useful information on a Linux system?  I'm in the
situation where the only vulnerability I can find and exploit is on a Linux web server.  Of course, I can attempt to
crack all the local password hashes, and try to use those credentials on other systems.  I'm just curious if others
have found other types of information / methods that have brought them closer to compromising windows systems and / or
the windows domain.  At this time I don't know what other services are hosted on the Linux system.

Thanks,

Jason Doyle

NOTICE: Protiviti is a global consulting and internal audit firm composed of experts specializing in risk and advisory
services. Protiviti is not licensed or registered as a public accounting firm and does not issue opinions on financial
statements or offer attestation services.

This electronic mail message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This
message, together with any attachment, may contain confidential and privileged information. Any views, opinions or
conclusions expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and do not necessarily reflect the views of
Protiviti Inc. or its affiliates. Any unauthorized review, use, printing, copying, retention, disclosure or
distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender
by reply email message to the sender and delete all copies of this message. Thank you.