Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Pentest Criteria

From: "Cor Rosielle" <cor () outpost24 com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 12:23:26 +0200

In my opinion the OSSTMM is truly open source. I'll tell you why.

About two years ago there was something in the OSSTMM I disagreed with and
sent an email about that. I can't even recall the mail address I sent it to.
Pete replied and this was the start of my involvement in the OSSTMM. In no
time I was a reviewer and shortly after I was a contributor. This is an
essential part of an open source project: peer review and allowing community
contribution to the project. I got copies of OSSTMM3 without paying for it.
At least I paid no money, I invested my time (nowadays our company does
contribute to ISECOM as an affiliate partner, but that's not how I got my
first copies of OSSTMM3; those were shared free of costs within an open
source project).

OSSTMM3 is not completely done yet, but like Pete wrote there is plenty
available in bits and pieces. And if you care to spend time on it and
understand what it says, you'll get an idea about what to expect. You'll
also see it is quite different from what the major part of the security
world currently thinks is secure (or even sells as secure). But bits and
pieces is what is available now and you can learn already a lot from it.

The "world" must wait for the complete document until the document is
completed. I would say this is obvious and don't see why this is not fair.

Cor Rosielle