Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Pentest Criteria

From: Pete Herzog <lists () isecom org>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2010 20:36:30 +0200

What if a client wants criteria reported as well. I'm not sure if there
is one I can use without running the risk of it being too far removed.
Is there a frame work or best practice which lends itself to pentests?
Or do I have to try to layer NIST on top of it

Thoughts?

OSSTMM 3 does exactly that. Currently it's being reviewed to either include in the ISO27000 series or be its own ISO. It has operational security metrics which allow you to rate vulnerabilities on what they do and it works very very well for pen test.

Sincerely,
-pete.

--
Pete Herzog - Managing Director - pete () isecom org
ISECOM - Institute for Security and Open Methodologies