Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Remote access and automatize user account creation (Windows XP)

From: sbesson () ymail com
Date: 5 May 2010 17:53:19 -0000

Hello everybody,

One of my client who has great needs in security, is asking me two questions which I wasn't able to answer to :

1. My client is looking for a remote access software (such as VNC) which could allow 2 simultaneous sessions on Windows
XP SP3. Are you aware of any software like this ? Also, which one is the best regarding security ?

2. The support/exploitation IT department has been complaining about having to enter credentials during the
installation of an XP image. They are asking my client to automatize the creation of 2 local accounts w/o having to
enter any credentials.
This means that the credentials used in order to create both account have to be stored somewhere right ? (ie, in a
script). What are the best security practice regarding this ? How to automatize the creation of a ressource (user
account, etc.) which require authentication w/o having to enter password ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

S. AIBI