Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: RE: Wireless Encryption Methods (eg; WPA2) vs Forced Secure Proxy Redirects

From: Cedric Blancher <blancher () cartel-securite fr>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 08:26:05 +0100

Le vendredi 05 mars 2010 à 10:31 +0100, Malick Sy a écrit :
Not sure what you mean Cedric, please rephrase, remember we are talking
wireless hotspots not paranoid banks, so we probably don't want to start
with the EAP/PEAP/ encrytpion saga.....WPA/WPA2 (802.11x) also require
supplicants (Yes Windows ships wirth one) but this is all a
nightmare....captive portals are deployed in airports, hotels, conference
centres all over the world....I think they are quiet advantageous to the
people using them

They are advantageous because people are lazy. Period. Windows has a
native supplicant supporting PEAP, OSX too, and they are pretty much
transparent for the end-user, asking for a login/password. As for
deployments, T-Mobile has been deploying hotspots providing PEAP
authentication for instance.

Now, you can argue you need a first step to retrieve access credentials,
and that will be achieved using a web access, and starting from there,
there is no reason for switching from one open wireless network to
another. That I can hear. But tons of hotspots, in "airports, hotels,
conference centres all over the world" accept mobile phone operator
creds you can directly get on your GSM for instance.

Captive portals, from a user security standpoint, suck. From an
administrator point of vue too: one can spoof anyone, you loose
imputability. Moreover, you have to deploy often complex webapss that
are blatantly vulnerable.

Because so many people are using a poor solution, from a security
standpoint again, does not mean it is a good solution and you have to
use it. You can think slightly out of the box, considering your context.

--
http://sid.rstack.org/
PGP KeyID: 157E98EE FingerPrint: FA62226DA9E72FA8AECAA240008B480E157E98EE