Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Word lists/dictionaries.

From: Jonathan Cran <jcran () 0x0e org>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 14:36:26 -0400

I am trying to find as many word lists as possible for cracking
whatever it is to be cracked... So if anyone has any links to some
descent word lists, please send it my way.

Will post what I collected when I collate everything.

there's also the venerable openwall wordlists (openwall.org).
additionally, there's been a number of fairly high-profile breaches
and subsequent leak of real-world passwords lately:

hotmail: http://current.com/technology/91108676_email-password-leak-update-gmail-yahoo-aol-and-hotmail-hit-too.htm
rockyou: http://securitystream.info/data-breaches/easy-passwords-found-in-rockyou-data-leak/

you should be able to track those lists down with relative ease.

also, someone is going to say this, i might as well take a stab at it
--> as with all bruting,  ymmv, and it's generally better to generate
custom lists based on what you're bruting, taking into account
technology, admin / policy sophistication, geolocation, and industry
among other things. check out wyd for a bit more info.

jcran

--
Jonathan Cran
jcran () 0x0e org