Penetration Testing mailing list archives

htpasswd decrypt

From: Miguel González Castaños <miguel_3_gonzalez () yahoo es>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 19:08:59 +0200

Hi all,

For a hack lab in that I'm doing I reach a point where I get a htpasswd file in clear in an Apache server.

Is there any tool that given the crypted password I can try to brute force (or use a dictionary attack) and get the original password? There are a lot of MD5 password crackers but they don't state if they work for htpasswd generated passwords.

  Thanks!

  Miguel