Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: IP secondary network visualization tool?

From: "Christopher A. Jarosz" <christopherjarosz () att net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 19:18:20 -0800

Hi Jerry!!!

Sorry about the delay on answering your question about using a sniffer on
the client's network.  They said they're using Cisco Security Agent (CSA)
and they were under the impression that the agent running on their servers
and clients would detect a NIC in promiscuous mode on their network.  I
found out through some research that only systems running the agent would
detect **only** if the device's NIC was running something like wireshark.
It didn't report if a system on that segment was sniffing.

I agree that as part of an internal pen test you'd run a sniffer to see the
local traffic (flood the CAM or span the VLAN), just I wanted to make sure I
wasn't detected....

Thanks!!!

chrisj