Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Pentest - ISA server

From: Volker Tanger <vtlists () wyae de>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 00:48:22 +0200

Greetings!

"Kurt M. John" <kurt.md.john () gmail com>:
Now for my real question. They have some ISA servers that take care of
all outgoing and incoming traffic. I ran nmap on them and at least one
of them have over 50000 open ports.

What options did you use on NMAP?
By default it runs a SYN scan (-sS), and if the firewall or server
tested does some type of SYN-Flood-Protection, it will send SYN-ACK
packages without actually querying the host behind it (maybe adding
TCP-cookies).

By default NMAP will count SYN-ACK answers to SYN queries as open port.

Try running a connect scan (-sT) which runs through all the proper
queries and answers of a TCP handshake and only will count correctly
opened TCP sessions - but then again this will trigger connect messages
in most daemon logs.

Bye

Volker

--