Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: PWB - OSCP certification for newbies

From: Hari Sekhon <hpsekhon () googlemail com>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 09:56:18 +0100

Myne Computer wrote:
Ok, with that said, I have another question to add. I am in about same place as Mauricio and would like to get further into training. Say someone is ok with linux, ok with networking, ok with multiple operating systems and on a decent start, where would be a good place for training in your openion to get a bit more into security, pen-testing, router configurations, firewall configurations, and anything like that.
Just so you are clear on what you would be getting, there is nothing on router configurations, firewall configurations etc etc, you are expected to know all that already (which is why I mentioned they just assume you are experienced and know it all already). There is absolutely no instruction or information on such things in the course. You'd have to do all the other vendor specific courses for those things (hope you have a huge training budget!).

I have been using a lot of tools like Nmap, wireshark, metasploit, and cain&able but would really like to understand this better. I have a server setup at home with multiple operating systems on many partitions I do a lot of my testing on but most of my learning comes from just google, man pages on Backtrack and reading books. I feel a good bootcamp would be nice to go through not just for the experience but the chance to talk to other people about this. Any suggestions on training or directions to take.
As part of the course, answers are not given intentionally, which leads to a lot of frustration and the usual response of "try harder" and images blocking people from moaning all the time which can bring even good people to tears when they hit something tough. The one thing it teaches you is that if you can't do it by yourself then you can't do it. I personally would have liked to have been able to ask people a few things in discussions, we all would, but that's strictly not allowed especially in public, it's just not the way it operates, there is an element of hacker l33tness culture and especially the part about not giving answers, so can expect to lose a lot of sleep trying to figure stuff out by yourself, which I think is the culture they are trying to instill in you as the real one, and the whole atmosphere is against "spoon feeding".

-h

--
Hari Sekhon
http://www.linkedin.com/in/harisekhon