Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Detection of Listening/Spy Devices such as FM bugs

From: Mark Pelts <mark.pelts () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 10:11:53 -0500

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 12:34 PM, anj<andykin () privatei com> wrote:
Counter-surveillance is a complicated and sophisticated science best left to
professionals, depending on the threat level.

Very sound advice. TSCM is a field that is best left up to those who
are specifically trained in the equipment and have expert level
knowledge in RF and electronics. And I'm not talking about hiring just
some PI out of the phone book either.

I would talk to James Atkinson if I were you. Seriously, I couldn't
recommend him highly enough.

http://www.tscm.com/

But don't let the simplicity of his web site fool you... he would
rather spend more time doing TSCM work than making fancy flash and
widgets for his web site. The guy is tops in the field.

Also, most of the "bug detectors" you are going to find on the
Internet are going to be crap. I do know of a few companies that make
*professional* TSCM gear, but you're better off talking to James like
I said above. The equipment they make is very expensive and if you're
going to drop $10k+ on equipment then you should really know how to
use it before you buy it.

-m