Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: password auditing

From: Robert Portvliet <robert.portvliet () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 08:20:37 -0500

Yes, you could do this on an isolated box, no need to be on the network...

If you're going to do this on a monthly basis, I would take the
cracked passwords from each session (found in the john.pot file) and
add them to your wordlist for the next month (guard that with your
life), make sure to delete the john.pot file after every cracking
session.

Make sure you get written permission from your manager to do password
cracking, you may be violating company policy otherwise.