Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: password auditing

From: "John Perea" <JPerea () contegosecurity com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 09:00:40 -0500

If you trust your network and the setup on your JtR box then go ahead,
else go offline since it contains sensitive data (potential cracked
password) that box is like a pot of gold if someone break in to it.

The only concern I guess is that if you have an Account Lockout Policy
(I hope you have one =) ), then it might DOS the users and will be pain
in a butt. So plan wisely. Also if you're in monitoring logs for
password cracking then you will be seeing a lot of logs schedule it
well. =)

Oh also make sure you have at least written permission to do this via
email or paper so at least you have a "Get Out Of Jail Free Card".

Good luck and have fun!
Cheers!

PGP: 53F2 AC13 E1C8 AC0A 165B  17A8 704A F916 82D3 F612