Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Pentest lab box 16 gigs of ram

From: Lorenzo Nicolodi <lorenzo.nicolodi () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 00:11:18 +0100

Hi jk,

I would suggest to use Ubuntu fot these reasons:

1) it works very well
2) you can use it for free
3) if you are interested in the guests (virtual) machines, the host OS
has to provide only the software layer for the virtualization, so
which OS you will use is not so important
4) I don't have a great experience with Windows Vista / Windows 7, I
have heard that the "home version"s have some troubles which are not
present in the Pro and Ultimate versions (but I cannot specify which
troubles are persent in the first which do not exist in the
Pro/Ultimate, so evaluate this point as a personal note)

If you do not need advanced features (virtual networks, teaming,
etc..) I will suggest to you to take a look about VMWare Server
(http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/datacenter_downloads/vmware_server/2_0),
which is also free.

Another great virtualization system seems to be ProxMox, which is free
and Debian based (www.proxmox.com).

I hope these info and personal preferences will help you in your choice!

Lo