Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Type Fingerprinting

From: Volker Tanger <vtlists () wyae de>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 00:32:08 +0100

Am Thu, 19 Nov 2009 16:09:02 +0700
schrieb Zaki Akhmad <zakiakhmad () gmail com>:

Can we do firewall type fingerprinting? With what tools? I want to
know the type of the firewall in front of the web server.

Sometimes - if so, a simple portscan can tell things. Sometimes service
gateways / proxies are a giveaway

- There are typical ports for some firewalls
  (services like http-auth, VPN-ports)

- Some FWs tell their name when using a Layer7 protocol filter.

- Some have a very distinct appearance in a portscan
  (esp. Raptor / Symantec Enterprise).

- Some have specific modifications to the IKE protocol (use IKEscan).

- Some can be identified by NMAP / Hping2 OS scan.

Usually: the "tighter" a FW is configured the harder it is to find out
its brand, too...

I don't know any special tools - usually NMAP is sufficient for most of
the tests above. Plus a bit of experience to interpret the results
unless they are blantantly obvious from service names...

Bye

Volker

--

Volker Tanger    http://www.wyae.de/volker.tanger/