Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Startup security lab setup

From: David Schekaiban <david () codigoverde com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 12:55:08 -0600

Abo,

First try to evaluate what the lab's main purpose would be, is it to offer
services internally or externally (scan and protect your services or help
other companies), to train people or to "test" random stuff. I'd suggest you
get some Linux boxes on there, I can strongly recommend Debian and
openSUSE, they both behave well. Maybe what you could do is get 2 physical
machines, one that acts as a "main" and other that works as a "client", then
install your nifty tools on one and strip the other one up. This would be a
VERY simple and basic and cheap setting.

Then get some virtual machine technology, Sun xVM Virtualbox works like a
charm, that way you can emulate machines in the lab to basically screw
around, infect them with trojans, install malware or whatever you need. This
way you can try different types of Windows, Linux and so on.

Some interesting tools are included in Backtrack, its a live Linux distro that
integrates a lot of tools like Metasploit, Nessus, Paros and SO MANY others.

If you need more details contact me. Best regards from Mexico.

David Schekaiban, CISA, CISSP
david () codigoverde com
twitter.com/codigoverde

Hello All,

i've been asked to start a lab setup for my company, with a focus on
vulnerability assessments. So far, what i have in mind includes: a
firewall unit, a couple of PCs with different OS flavors, some VA
applications (Nessus, metasploit...)
What else should i look for? what applications would you deem
indispensable in such a lab?

thanks in advance,
-AS.