Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Startup security lab setup

From: HITESH PATEL <hitesh50 () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 19:15:15 -0700 (PDT)

1) Define the scope/purpose/requirement of the lab very clearly(possibly documented). If you do not have it clear you
will start with something and might end up doing completely different

2) get different flavors of test machines in VM (virtual machine formats) and take snapshots of them regularly so that
in case you end-up getting virus/malware in any of the system (due to you work/research) you can reset back to last
good state (and save time of reconfiguring and updates/patches).

3) Get your lab in seperat VLAN (or define network path/access control very carefully) so it is controllable. (Who can
do what). Remember after having powerful security tools in your lab you do not want someone originating attacks to
outside world (especially towards you competitor)

4) if you have defined scope of your lab you can think different security tools. I have seen lots of people breaking
the scope to
- application security tools
- database security tools
- network security tools
- monitoring security tools
- general purpose security scanning tools
- operating security tools

5) In my opinion, You must have one VM (or system) hosting BackTrack (This will give you very good coverage as well as
jumpstart)

I wish you good luck....I have gone through such exercise in past and getting scope/purpose/requirements (documented)
is major part or the entire exercise.

-Hitesh Patel