Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Internal Servers (noob post)

From: avghacker () gmail com
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 19:01:31 +0000

"Can you back up yours here, with something solid
on the actualy threat from internal users and admins?"

I can.  Do to politics of the company many users have more rights then they need.  Everyone also runs as a local admin
of their end workstation.  So basically anyone with a little knowledge of hacking can send a pre-caned exploit to a
user on our interal network and have local admin privledges to a box on the network + access to other network shares.
Hence hardening internal servers and/or workstations is a good idea. Not to mention that worm outbreaks like conflicker
get stopped in their tracks with the appropriate hardening services in place.