Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Internal Servers (noob post)

From: Wim Remes <wremes () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 20:57:22 +0200

Ron,

I can't let that one pass.

Verizon publishes a yearly breach report, the latest of which you can find here : http://www.verizonbusiness.com/resources/security/databreachreport.pdf ).

You are correct in stating that there are far fewer breaches from the inside than from the outside (17% vs 73%) the impact of internal breaches is much higher though, $377k vs $30k. If you take into account breaches where partners are involved (which I would categorize as internal anyway),
it amounts upto +$500k.

Case in point, this report only covers the breaches handled by Verizon, but I think an extrapolation wouldn't really differ from the numbers in this report.

Which metrics have you seen ?

While fighting the dark side is much more exciting, working with the business to reduce the actual threat surface is where it's really at.

Regards,

Wim