Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Fwd: Re: Requesting Informational Interview

From: "Rob" <wia () ignoranceisbliss info>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 16:52:07 -0500

Subject: Re: Requesting Informational Interview
From:    "Chris Griffin" <chris.griffin () isecom org>
Date:    Tue, June 16, 2009 7:24 am
To:      wia () ignoranceisbliss info

Hi Rob,

Below Ill give you my answer for the questions you asked.

I am trying to discover the best path, to get me from here to there.  What
was it that you did to get there?
Personally, I started volunteering with ISECOM
working on the OSSTMM about 5 or so years ago. Not only have I been able to
put that on my resume I have learned a great deal doing so. If you would
like to
check it out, osstmm.org or email pete () isecom org. I am biased, but you can
ask others
and they will tell you the OSSTMM can really help you in pen testing to be
complete and accurate.

What do you think are the good parts of the job?
Its fun, if your a super geek. You can
get quite an adrenalin rush at times!

What do you think are the bad parts of the job?
Sometimes it can involve lots of travel, so
depending on what you like that can be good or bad. I have a wife and 4 kids
so I like to be near home.

What is it about pentesting that keeps you coming back?
 Again, its fun, you always have to keep
learning, you CAN NOT sit still in this line of work, you literately have to
learn something new at least
every week, or it will pass you by.

Do you have any recommendations on what to watch out for?
To me, network/system testing is the easiest but
will require the most travel. Web app testing is harder and can be much more
involved but in most cases can
be done from the office or home. Lots of the web app testing jobs are work
from home. Atleast once you make
it to a senior level.

If you were able to do it all over again, would you go back into pentesting?

Without a doubt!
This is one industry that no matter how many people are in it, someone
somewhere can push the envelope further
and keep things going. So id say after technical ability, creativity is
crucial.