Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Heartland Gets Religion on Security

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 17:16:16 -0400

Hi Rajat,

...but I'd like to think that the assessor didn't do a
thorough job either of reviewing them.
I agree. Over at DataLossDB, I inquired about adding a column for the
firm(s) performing the audit in an attempt to [possibly] correlate
breaches with firms. Unfortunately, DataLossDB did not feel they had
the resources to accommodate. I can't help but feel there is an
Enron/Arthur Anderson relationship among some of these folks.

Jeff

On 6/19/09, rajat swarup <rajats () gmail com> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 7:02 AM, Jeffrey Walton<noloader () gmail com> wrote:
 > From the folks at Attrition and the DataLossDB.

 Carr says that one lesson he's learned from the breach is that the
 >  industry's security standard, called Payment Card Industry or PCI, doesn't
 >  go far enough. It's the "lowest common denominator," he says, adding that
 >  the audit didn't detect the vulnerability that led to the hack even though
 >  it had existed for years.

It's interesting to see their perspective but I'd like to think that
 the assessor didn't do a thorough job either of reviewing them.  I
 could be wrong too!  Not to place faith in the PCI DSS or anything but
 I'm yet to see a *truly* compliant merchant being breached.  Media
 reports led me to believe that the ones that were compliant and
 breached had been weakly assessed on certain aspects of the
 assessment.

 Just a thought!

--
 Rajat Swarup