Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Verify Your Security Provider -- The truth behind manual testing.

From: "Adriel T. Desautels" <ad_lists () netragard com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 13:44:13 -0400

Tim,
        I partially agree with what you've said here, people need a way
to verify their vendor and their vendor's respective teams.  Too many
vendors claim that they do this and that, but when it comes time to work
they've got no talent to show. "All hat and no cattle" as a matter of speaking.

        Anyway, I didn't say Only use facebook did I? Use any means
possible.  Bottom line is though, if the company has researchers, then
the company will have published advisories.  If they've done that, then
you should be able to get a good idea of their capability by doing
research on their research.

        Manual testing is research after all, and its not all created equal.
Lots of vendors who claim that they do manual testing, don't. They just
verify that a service that was reported as vulnerable by nessus, is actually up and running. If it is running then it passes their "manual test". Thats a joke
if you ask me.

        Btw, if you comment on the blog, I might post it. :)