Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Smells Funny: Looking for help against Chinese Hacking Team

From: jc <antihacker.jc () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 10:20:48 -0800

While I can't speak for others, by nature I'm paid to be paranoid. It goes with the career, that and realizing no one will exclaim, "Thanx for keeping us safe" -- rather, more like, "Why couldn't you keep us safe...?" The negatives are expounded long before the positives....metrics, people, information be dammed (your 'Atta-Boy!' mileage may vary)...

...So when I look back on the thread, with further research on stings, setups, and phishing scenarios, I get the feeling this was some kind of troll, some kind of experiment, some kind of
juicy target, a lawful honeypot if you will.

Does anyone else get the same sort of creepy-crawly feeling? When I look at the way it was written, and the obvious vulnerabilities/clues given, it smells to good to be true. Or is this level
of innate incompetence the norm?

Do I need to leave the building and get some fresh air? Speak Human instead of Binary?
Or does something not smell right about the whole thing a month later?

Thanx,
jc