Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: They will protect me (won't they?)

From: Jamie Riden <jamie.riden () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 07:36:38 +0000

Hi Adriel,

Marcus Ranum for one disagrees  -
http://www.ranum.com/security/computer_security/editorials/point-counterpoint/pentesting.html
- so I think it's a little bit misleading to say that all seasoned
security professionals think pen-test is necessary. I don't agree with
Marcus by the way.

Fresh perspective is good, but it's also possible to get a fresh
perspective by getting an external auditor - ie. a white-box test -
rather than pen-test (black box).

I'm obviously going to agree with your main point that everyone needs
to secure their infrastructures!

cheers,
 Jamie