Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Password Cracking Issues

From: "THOMAS, DEDRIC (ATTCLSMA)" <dt7089 () att com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 11:06:18 -0600

Hey,

Ethically, you should notify them of the fact that they need to strengthen
their Account Management Policies.  You can have them change the password,
and then go forth with your pen-testing.  It would benefit both parties,
they know they can trust you to tell them the right thing, instead of faking
your way through a password hack, even though you know the password.

Just my two cents....

Dedric