Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Pen-Test Career Guide Questions

From: Jeannette Lawson <jli.lawson () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 15:25:05 -0500

Dear List,

I have a similar situation with Hy, only I'm closer to approaching 30, I
tried CS and ended up leaving and graduating at a different University
with a Information Security Management Diploma.  I've got IT experience
(currently working as an IT Tech), but not much security experience yet.

What I'm trying to figure now is if I should go back to school
(University/College) for a degree first, or do some certs, get a
security job and go to school after?  Or some combination of that.

I've got a multiple questions, that I'm hoping some of you can help lead
me in the right direction.  What I'd like from everybody is:

a) What path do you suggest I take to get to a pen-test career?
b) What order of certs do you recommend?
c) In your experience, do online universities/colleges work?  Or are
regular classroom-based institutions the way to go?
d) What's everyone's experience with females in security? (I'd like to
hear from both genders on this, hopefully.  I'd especially like to hear
from the females and their             experience being in the field.)

Any help is greatly appreciated.  And if you need more information from
me, just let me know.  Thank you all.

J Lawson
--
JLI.Lawson () gmail com