Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Cryptographic Functions

Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 23:07:57 +0200

Am 18.08.2009 17:50, schrieb M.D.Mufambisi:
1. When a passphrase is used a key in symetric cryptography, how does
the pass phrase map to the key in an algorithm like AES? ie....how
many letters correspond to 1 bit? etc?

First, the password (arbitrary length) has to be turned into a key, which is usually done using a hash function (or a more complex function, which however uses a hash function most times). The output of the function has a fixed length, so no matter if you put 1 character or 1000 characters into it, it will still output say 128 bit. This is only the length, not the randomness however!

The security of the password depends on how much randomness (entropy) it contains. The more, the better. If the password contains more than 128 bits (for AES-128) of entropy, however, the entropy is reduced by the hash function.

The information that english has 1.1 bits per character entropy means that if you have a 30-letter passphrase consisting of plain english, it is not very secure (can be guessed), since english allows only certain combinations of letters and some of them are less probable than others.

If, however, you use a mix of 15 characters selected randomly from all lower- and uppercase letters and numbers, you get
62^15 equally probable combinations, which equals to approximately
2^89 -> 89 bits of entropy (secure enough in most cases)

At least thats how I understand it. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Gruß
Jan