Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Conficker (and friends) v.s. Penetration Testing

From: "Adriel T. Desautels" <ad_lists () netragard com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 19:51:02 -0400

Bruno,
I'm familiar with the materials that you lined below, never the less much appreciated and agreed. Nothing in our industry is absolute, everything can be defeated. Was that an absolute statement? The way that I see it is that it is our job as security professionals to make sure that our customers are as secure as they can be within the limits and requirements of their business. Its all about helping our customers run faster than the other people being chased by the bear. the slowest people will get eaten, the fastest will survive. That said, if there's a sniper in the woods nobody can outrun the bullet and anyone with enough money can hire a sniper. Sure we can be snipers, but if thats not the realistic threat then we've implemented sufficient defenses. Does that make sense?