Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Risk of Redirecting Email.

From: Todd Haverkos <infosec () haverkos com>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 12:17:52 -0500

"M.D.Mufambisi" <mufambisi () gmail com> writes:
Hi people.

I have seen on some clients of mine, that when an employee leaves the
organisation, they request IT to redirect their emails to a particular
email address....personal.

Hi MD,

Sounds like a very bad idea.

What are the risks of this? I can only think of company information
being directed to this individual....which could be bad if he/she
has gone to work for a competitor. What other risks or security
issues could this give rise to?

In addition to passive reception of company information through
probably-not-updated group distribution lists within the company, I
can think of a few other problems.

First, there would be nothing keeping the former employee from sending
out new mail forging their old From: address from the company.... and
being able to get replies.  Mailing list subscriptions with that id
would be possible, password reset requests would get delivered
(possibly on old company internet facing sites), maybe even resets for
the company VPN or third party sites the company uses.

Being able to masquerade as a still-valid employee has all sorts of
social engineering implications as well as customer service
implications.  If a client emails the departed employee a question or
request and doesn't get a bounce, you could have them waiting a while
to try another method of communication, and they could easily end up
underserved and good and upset before they got around to contacting an
actual current employee of the company.  Had they gotten a timely
bounce, however, they'd know immediately their request wasn't read.
On the other hand, bounce messages themselves leak internal
information so some advise against using them, so it comes down to
your risk tolerance and what you're worried about.

All the same, I see zero upside to the company for providing such a
forwarding service for someone they've either fired or who's left
them.

Best Regards,
--
Todd Haverkos, LPT MsCompE