Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Risk of Redirecting Email.

From: Dotzero <dotzero () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 11:16:33 -0400

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:54 AM, M.D.Mufambisi <mufambisi () gmail com> wrote:
Hi people.

I have seen on some clients of mine, that when an employee leaves the
organisation, they request IT to redirect their emails to a particular
email address....personal.
What are the risks of this? I can only think of company information
being directed to this individual....which could be bad if he/she has
gone to work for a competitor. What other risks or security issues
could this give rise to?

I'm not sure why this question is posted to pent-test but seeing as it
was allowed through......

Flip it around, why would an organization forward mail directed to a
company account? If it is organization related mail to an organization
owned inbox then it shouldn't be forwarded to an ex-employee. That is
why people have personal email accounts.

As usual, just my 2 cents.