Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Botnets

From: Aarón Mizrachi <unmanarc () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 13:00:29 -0430

On Miércoles 01 Abril 2009 11:26:48 usted escribió:
On Thu, 26 Mar 2009, Aarón Mizrachi wrote:
On Miércoles 25 Marzo 2009 01:22:14 M.D.Mufambisi escribió:
Hi Guys.

Can someone please explain to me how botnets use IRC? I want to make a
presentation to my group demonstrating this in my lab which comprises
of 4 winxp boxes. Unpatched. How are commands issued via IRC?

Hi, i recopiled some info of botnets on my forensics... botnets are a new
name to a old technique: TROJANS

More specific: wide spredeable trojans that can act as zombies or use
your computer on non-legitim pourporses...

A popular method (SINCE SUB7 INCLUSIVE), is make a reverse connection to
an a public IRC server who believe that you are a legitim user of
chatrooms.

Why botnets?

1th motivation: Useful way to bypass firewalls, when a bot/trojan make a
connection to an IRC server, it connects like a normal user do it, in the
past, firewalling only protected you against incomming connections, but,
outcomming connections is allowed by default.

Not nessecarily, firewalls can and often do control outgoing connections.
Allowing all outbound tends to be more a desktop thing often employed by
less technical folks often on home PC's.
Heh, you are right, but i think you miss the point of my comment.

We are talking about IRC botnets... The owner of the botnet commonly use the
bots for DDoS attacks, distributed password cracking, or something like.

Since... i was talking about home desktop's pc's used for this pourporse,
using a common setup.

The goal of bot-owner can be reached with home-pc's.

Most companies tend to block at
least some outgoing traffic.

Indeed. Companies can block some outgoing traffic. It depends on the policy,
but, there are two _common_ important holes of the outgoing traffic:

- Port TCP 443 (IRC SSL server can safetly run on this port)
- DNS (TCP/UDP 53)

There are also DNS botnets, that can use dns resolve information to receive
commands... or send a reply... (with methods like iodine and others).

I seen before a network with 443 blocked or Mitm'd, and DNS limited, but:

- 443 mitm represent a securit risk.
- block 443 will help you with security, but it'll decrease the usability of
the internet.
- DNS limited also will decrease the usability of the internet.

Also i seen before a botnet patern detector, but, i also seen before botnet's
using random patterns and... "the delegate model"..

But is not the case of study... because the goal of an attacker is to infect
easy computers. not a bunker network.

I note alot of FUD about firewalls and their abilities in this list in
recent times...

What is the real risk that you have to measure if you are talking about of the
company point of view?

I already assume that you are bot-net free...
but, at this point, we are not safe from botnets...

DDoS against the company can be possible, application resource starvation,
bandwidth starvation, distributed computing against you , whatever.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne