Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: How can I learn assembly to Understand Buffer/heap overflows

From: "mark mark" <haxorplanet () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 14:40:23 +0400

Here's a good sequence..

1. Chapters 1-3, Assembly Programming Step-by-Step: DOS/Linux
2. Chapter 1, Computer Organization and Design (patterson/hennessy)
3. Inside the Machine (Finish all)
4. Computer Organization and Design (continue upto finish)
5. Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach (patterson/hennessy)
6. Modern Operating Systems (Tannenbaum)
7. Assembly Programming Step-by-Step (continue to finish)
8. Reversing: Secrets of Reverse Engineering
9. Learn at least C programming, get a pdf version of ANSI-C standard
10. Obtain a free copy of 8-book set Intel Architecture Software
Development Manual from Intel
11. Go to Metasploit, Millw0rm, packetstormsecurity, download sample
exploits and read the codes, practice writing..

It's a lot of read but it's worth it. It's like taking a computer
engineering course. I'm a graduate of Information Technology but was
never taught system programming
at school. If you really have want to become elite, you have to start
reading now. I'm still in #4 and i'm doing pretty good in absorbing
everything i'm reading. I'm not going to give up until I've reached my
goal. I have all the time in the world. Good luck to you! :-)

-mark