Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Certifications: Not worth the paper they are printed on?

From: David Howe <DaveHowe.Pentest () googlemail com>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 09:12:31 +0100

Terry Cutler wrote:
Totally agree with you Jon, That's why I like the Linux exams that
Novell has called Practicums. The entire exam is based on you VNC'd
into 2 or more VMWARE boxes and are presented with a list of tasks to
complete. Each task is WEIGHTED, so if you mess up early in the
objectives, it can snowball into the rest of the exam and cause you to
fail.

I quite liked the practicums, although some of the tasks were
unrealistic (Although I would love to see DnsSec adopted, its still a
white elephant).

The problem there becomes chicken and egg though - if you need practical
experience to pass the exam, and you need to be hired and working in the
industry to gain practical experience, how does a potential new hire
gain sufficient experience to be hired into a job where he could get
sufficient experience?

Exams like this are the only way to test real world knowledge. Only
downfall is that these exams are quite tough, and it discourages a lot
of folks from trying it.

I found the CLP easy, as all the tasks were real-world ones (i.e. one an
experienced admin would have done). I found the CLE tasks harder as they
involved skills that were rarely if ever used in a real world
environment. Moreover, the official novell training courses for CLP/CLE
concentrate just on what is going to be tested on - so you don't get a
sufficiently wide range of skills (in my opinion of course) and are very
suse specific (so you use yast a lot, which isn't a bad thing for speed,
but means the skills are less transferable to other distributions)

YMMV of course :)