Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: username and Password sent as clear text strings

From: David Howe <DaveHowe.Pentest () googlemail com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 10:39:12 +0100

Matthew Zimmerman wrote:
David, Marvin Simkin said it well; I didn't.

Sorry, I obviously mistrimmed. correction noted :)

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 4:43 AM, David Howe
<DaveHowe.Pentest () googlemail com> wrote:
Matthew Zimmerman wrote:
In my opinion, if you want to mitigate this, don't use passwords.  Use
true challenge-response.  Everything else proposed here is either
obfuscation or doesn't really work in a web application environment.
A VPN around a webserver only works if every user that needs access to
that webserver can also access the vpn.
that is unfortunately only security though obscurity, and barely worth doing
- it raises the bar quite a bit (in that the MiTM attacker must also modify
the transmitted page to request a plaintext password instead. a much more
demanding task than just recording traffic) but requires that you send
javascript, java or flash code to actually do the challenge-response
protocol (and manage the inevitable clients who will have that turned off
then complain that your site "requires" things they consider a security
issue).
Maybe I didn't state it correctly, challenge/response was the wrong
term to use.  PKI, SecurID, etc.  Something that involves something
you are or something you have in addition to something you know (e.g.,
a password).  You are correct that obfuscating the password by some
client side script/addon will not work.  That was not my intention.

A lot depends on what you are doing at this point, the value of the host to the attacker, and the attack modes. Client side certificates are rarely used now (in fact, I can think of only one site I used that offered them - CA's support channnel - and they have removed support for that in their move to their new solution) which is a pity given they are a good, cheap and effective solution to a lot of issues. They aren't a *portable* solution, but the vast majority of users are either static in their access needs (they use a single or small number of hosts) or are able to carry a pkcs #12 on inexpensive media or external storage. (the security of adding a hard-to-remove clientside certificate to a webcafe host is awkward to manage however)

Physical tokens are in vogue; they are easy (relatively) to use, very portable, and require no special hardware or software at the client side. The downsides there are the inevitable turnover (loss, failure or expiry of tokens), the fact that a physical token will often be left with or near the user's customary access point (so for laptops, will often be left in the carry case) vulnerable to abuse or theft given physical proximity, and the perceived security of the token being so high that often social engineering or MitM fake-failure attacks can achieve entry of a token value under the control of the attacker without arousing the suspicion of the user. And the cost, of course (which isn't to be neglected; tokens are not cheap). Unless logins in parallel are to be prevented, often a single token value can be used in parallel (for example - BHO captures a token based login and transfers that login data to the attacker's machine, which then (within seconds of the first login) attempts a second login with the same token value. Unless the token value is invalidated by the first successful login (or the attacker is unlucky and has expired by the time he attempts his login) then he will be left with his own copy of the session independent of the real users

 Ultimately though, if your attacker can successfully read and modify the
browser channel (either using browser plugins or indirectly by intercepting
and modifying the page stream via a MiTM attack) or intercept the data entry
channel (keyboard/mouse) you have already lost.

Right.  You break the SSL tunnel, you also have the user's cookie,
which means you don't care about a "password" anymore.  The cookie is
your password.

Pretty much, yes. often the cookie value will be tied to the IP address, but in MitM scenarios often the ip address of the attacker *is* the IP address the server sees, both for legitimate and for compromised traffic.

I don't claim to have the answers, but I do have some pretty good questions :)