Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Pentesting tool - Commercial

From: Pete Herzog <lists () isecom org>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 18:36:54 +0100

Hi,

Ivan Arce wrote:
<snip>
Going back to the original comments about CORE IMPACT and the 'count of exploits' I'd like point out just that throwing numbers without qualifying the measurement criteria and the relevance of the methodology is not a very serious assessment of a product's capabilities, its suitability for a given use or the value it may provide to a security professional.

I'd like to add as a person not actually selling products or having any commercial ties to any software tool maker that Ivan is correct here. There are so many important variables to how a tool should work that judging on numbers alone of something that has no clear standard for how it should be counted is just ignorant.

-pete.
www.isecom.org