Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Client DDoS requests, ideas?

From: Jon Kibler <Jon.Kibler () aset com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:24:05 -0400

Erin Carroll wrote:
Pen-testers,

There have been times when, during the course of a pen-test for a
client, a request is made for DoS/DDoS attacks against external systems
& services. While there are resource exhaustion & other attack methods
for certain services/systems, let's assume that Smurf-like attacks
aren't viable. I'm curious for ideas or methods to simulate straight
bandwidth DDoS attacks if the client pipe(s) are larger than your
available pipe(s).

It's not like we all have huge botnets in our back pocket... Has anyone
faced this situation before and if so, how did you manage?

Hi,

What services (e.g., IIS x.x, BIND v.e.r)?

What network infrastructure devices (e.g., Cisco xxxx w/ IOS yy.zz)?

What O/Ses / versions?

There are a number of protocol and device specific attacks where a
single to a few hosts with not much bandwidth can successful DoS a
system on a much larger pipe. Attacks are not available for every
environment, but there is usually just enough of a range of equipment
and services on most network to make a DoS attack against something on a
target network possible.

What to look for?
   Fragmentation attacks (e.g., jolt)
   Amplification attacks (e.g., DNS: request a VERY large TXT record)
   Protocol attacks (e.g., LAND)
   Application attacks (e.g., SQL Injection 'shutdown with nowait')

Where to look?
   PacketStorm
   Milw0rm

Just some starters. Give some specifics and I can be more specific.

Hope this helps!

Jon Kibler
- --
Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer
Advanced Systems Engineering Technology, Inc.
Charleston, SC  USA
o: 843-849-8214
c: 843-224-2494
s: 843-564-4224

My PGP Fingerprint is:
BAA2 1F2C 5543 5D25 4636 A392 515C 5045 CF39 4253