Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Looking for help against Chinese Hacking Team

From: ArcSighter Elite <arcsighter () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 09:09:29 -0500

Adriel T. Desautels wrote:
Great,
    If he's looking to stop attacks then he needs to remove the vector
through which he is being attacked. IPS devices do not remove the
vector, they make an attempt to prevent the vector from being accessed.
While I support the use of properly configured and maintained IPS
technologies, I'd never recommend using them as a method for remediation
because they are only a method for mitigation.  Sure mitigation is
great, but its not a fix.

    With respect to your comment about creating properly designed
parameterized stored procedures, it is not "almost impossible" if you
architect things properly.  You might be able to change a variable from
a 1 to a 2 which is technically SQL Injection, but its not usually an
SQL Injection Attack that is of any use.  The idea here is to prevent
SQL Injection Attacks not to prevent people from changing variables that
should be harmless right?