Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Looking for help against Chinese Hacking Team

From: "Shenk, Jerry A" <jshenk () decommunications com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 22:00:53 -0500

Can you identify the time of the attack?  If you can identify that, then
can you go backward through your web server logs and identify and
identify the attack.

Think about any pages that allow users to send files to your
system...that's a pretty common hole.

How do you know it's "the Chinese"?  If you really do know who it is,
then you should have an IP address....that should make the search for
the attack somewhat simpler....not simple, just simpler;)  Go through
ALL your logs and look for that IP address.  Keep in mind that they
could do recon from one IP and then attack from another...not too common
but certainly possible.

Running a pen-test against the web site MIGHT find it...but then, it
might be something that's not one of the included attacks or it takes a
certain time of obfuscation to get through something.  Really, if you've
been attacked, then the key is to find out what they did to get you.

Obviously you don't have much of a budget (and this isn't a dig, just a
statement of an assumption) if you think a $200 pen-test was a lot of
money so, just go pore over those web logs.  That's where it is.  Make
sure you have the event logging cranked up.  You didn't say what they
did but, if they managed to launch an executable, you can probably catch
it if you turn on auditing for system processes and event tracking.