Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Good advice: Learn Assembly

From: "Joel Jose" <joeljose420 () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 00:26:40 +0530

even i'm having the same dilemma.. if u get any lead do inform me too.
any one still read phrack?.. ahh its been long.. let me refresh my
memories...

joel.

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 11:48 PM, Jim Kelly <macubergeek () comcast net> wrote:
I have a personal goal of learning how to find vulnerabilities with fuzzers
and code POCs (preferably in Python).

Now I've gotten the traditional advice of "learn assembly" from a couple of
folks. I wonder if that is necessary these days.
I always thought one needed to learn assembly to code shell code.  With the
capabilities of Metasploit, I wonder if this is still true? Do you need to
know assembly coding to decipher the output of disassemblers like IDA Pro or
debuggers like Olly?

Setting aside the logistical problems of finding a local college that still
teaches assembly....am I overlooking something here?

All comments welcome.

Jim

Top 5 Common Mistakes inSecuring Web Applications
Get 45 Min Video and PPT Slides

www.cenzic.com/landing/securityfocus/hackinar

--
As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an
evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil