Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: creating fake APs

From: pinowudi <pinowudi () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:28:19 -0400

Using the fakeap driver requires the use of specific hardware that support RFmon mode. See the bottom of this article for some suggestions.

http://remote-exploit.org/research/void11rougeaccesspoint.html

bLiTz wrote:
Hi thanks for the earlier help. We are now in phase II of the project and need to build a more secure network. I had
the following questions:
1.  For this I was planning to use fakeap to create a large number of fake APs. But I am not able to configure fakeap after
spending hours and hours on it. From what I understand, we need to have hostap inorder to run fakeap. I wasn't able to
configure and install it ( I am trying to get this working on Ubuntu and then later if possible on OpenWRT on Linksys wrt
54gl) . It would be great if anybody out there could guide me or point me to some place where it is clearly explained how to
get hostap and fakeap working.
2. If there are any other similar tools out there please let me know. 3. Advice on how to monitor our wireless network. Using wids? which WIDS would you guys suggest we use?