Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: CREST or TIGER?

From: Danny Fullerton <dfullerton () mantor org>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 19:33:01 -0400

Hi,

from my point of view, among security professional, xyz certification won't mean anything and so does university degree. I've been working with CISSP, computer science PhD, CEH, CISM, GIAC and others guys and found that my opinion about there competency in computer security cannot be based on those. The only common denominator I found among the best was passion.

If you think you need some sort of certification to be taken more seriously, you should consider questioning the way you work/collaborate or introduce yourself.

I cannot speak for everyone but personally, for the time I've been working in computer security, the little letters following names have lots all credibility. The only time it looks quite important and finally worth something is with people outside the security community (e.g. executive, human resource).

This is only my opinion, no offense.

---
Danny Fullerton, xyz
Founder
Mantor Organization

EH wrote:
All, I would value your opinion.  I am trying to make a comparison
between the 'new kids on the block' in terms of pen tester
accreditation here in the UK, CREST and TIGERScheme,  for my
organisation.  So far I've come up with the following information.

                                      CREST            TIGER
An existing examination      No                  Yes
Independent of suppliers      No                  Yes
End user driven                   No                  Yes
Not for profit                       Yes?               Yes
Applicable to Individuals      Yes?              Yes
Company standards            Yes               Yes (CCTM)
Career path                        Yes?              Yes
University standard              No                Yes
It seems that the TIGER Scheme www.tigerscheme.org is fully up and
running and accrediting individuals already plus it is a University
based examination which CREST www.crest-approved.org is not.

I see from the CREST website that they are in support of the often
maligned multiple guess CEH examination and will 'grandfather'
individuals into the 'CREST approved' scheme if they have CEH.  Now I
am a CEH [amongst other things I hasten to add] and I sat the exam in
early 2003.  It was taken reasonably seriously then but it seems that
the pen test communities opinion of the cert has deprecated somewhat
over time ... so is CREST a re-branded EC-COUNCIL?  If so will they go
the same way?

To grandfather into TIGER at the lowest level of certification you
need an approved MSc in Computer Security.  Basically any certs I
recommend for my organisation I want to be taken seriously now and in
future. I am heavily leaning towards TIGER.

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

EH

Need to secure your web apps NOW?
Cenzic finds more, "real" vulnerabilities fast.
Click to try it, buy it or download a solution FREE today!

http://www.cenzic.com/downloads