Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: How to track down a wireless hacker

From: cwright () bdosyd com au
Date: 9 Nov 2007 12:37:12 -0000

CG,
Pen Testing is not forensics and incident response as much as you would like this. Forensics and Incident response are
the other side of the argument. As for what I know on forensics, lets see. I am one of the 14 people with a GIAC GSE
level accreditation, co-author of a forensic book and about 20 peer reviewed published papers. Oh, also post grad law
and 15+ years experience in digital forensics (21 security).

As for Honeynets - I have run several.

You state:
"Once an ATTACKER steps past the authentication/authorization border he/she
loses all rights of expected privacy on that network. As well, entrapment
(4th amendment) applies to law enforcement ect..., which I'm not."

I find your lack of understanding of legal issues problematic. There is no relation to the 4th amendment and these
actions. Neither did I mention entrapment. An attacker does not lose any rights. There is no legal recourse to attack
back or retaliate. As much as you may not like it - this is how it works. Further, the attack may originate from an
innocent 3rd party. The law does not work on the principle of an eye for an eye.

How do you propose to find these leads? You seem to be stating that placing data somewhere will lead to a capture.
Please explain how.
I see this as a simple request. I ask you to explain how this will occur. Let us forget web cookies. You have stated a
field in a database, username and password for instance. Please explain how this will lead back to the mystery attacker?

Or is it that you are proposing that you will sniff traffic and find them post the event. That you propose making
environmental changes that are going to be noticed?

What if the attacker sniffed the network and did not insert anything? What if they played an inactive role in the
attack gathering information and monitoring traffic flows as occurs in most of these cases? What then?  You have made
it sound simple, please elaborate.

Craig Wright (GSE-Compliance)