Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: How to track down a wireless hacker

From: cwright () bdosyd com au
Date: 7 Nov 2007 21:11:53 -0000

When you last went to the store and purchased a wireless card with cash did they take a photo ID?
When you picked up the box with the serial no. on the inside, did they record it against your name?

If it was changed - the real one is lost. It will not see the light of day

Some times you will find cards all with the same MACs. They should not do this, but I have receieved batches of cards
with the same mac in the past. The manufacturer does not keep Mac addresses and there is no secret repository of them
as a mapping to people.

Next the attacker could have been 5 miles away with a good high gain antenna. So it means that you can not even rely on
proximity.

Anything you get is going to be from the compromised machines themself. You need to engage in a forensic analysis of
the compromised hosts (if it is not too late). This is where the clues are.

If you really want to be able to match your myster attacker, association techniques (data mining) such as rpart may
help match ations derived from a training set of data created from the forensic data you will collect on the
compromised host to an individual if this person has done this elsewhere or has been caught before.

Regards,
Craig Wright (GSE-Compliance)