Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Port Scanning Issues

From: Vijay <zion.den () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 18:24:48 +1000

Hi Chaidre,

You could use the Connect scan option in nmap to get a more reliable scan. saying that i just realize that there are firewalls/load balancers that will respond with a SYN-ACK for every port, in that case i would say only when you send a data part of the connection after the ACK will you know if the port is really open. (people correct me if i am wrong). Hope it was of some help.

Regards
Vijay

crumdub12 () gmail com wrote:
A Chairde,

   Havin, some issues with scanning stacks on my system.

1. Using Superscan4 , I scan stack UDP-TCP 1-65534 , Sometimes I
get no ports open , another time I get 49159 UDP Ports open, only get port report, no attempt made to open any ports
... , when get open ports , I always get 49159 UDP Ports ...... , use the scanner at 250msecs , takes around 16 hours
to finish.

2. Using Languard, Nessus and Retina , get different scans from each tool, any ideas why, how do I find out real ports
open.. differences can be 10,000 ports

Are you using SPI, Watchfire or WhiteHat?
Consider getting clear vision with Cenzic
See HOW Now with our 20/20 program!

http://www.cenzic.com/c/2020