Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Pen testing / Vuln Assessment from Cable Modem - question on service provider selection

From: tommymay () comcast net (Tommy May)
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:33:43 +0000

Thanks James... certainly good ideas.  I'll keep your offer in mind...and who knows, maybe we can merge some efforts...
 I am slowly in the process of developing relationships with small companies, doing ad-hoc security stuff, mostly
network troubleshooting...etc.  But the need for assurance is on the rise...

Once again, thanks for taking the time and sharing perspective and experiences.

Tom

From: "James Ruffer" <admin () unixbox ws>
Here is what we have been doing for the last couple of years.

We collocated a couple of servers in a center that has no issue defending
your pen-testing as long as you a legit and in contract with the
company you are
testing.  This collocation facility also hosts porn so you can only imagine the
legal staff.

In October we updated our servers to XEN and consolidated our physical servers.

We now just boot a VM with whatever base OS we would like to test
using.  We have
3 base OS's that we dub with our tools.
We will also zip up the servers that we tested from and submit them to
the client for later testing via DVD.  We do not keep the XEN's after
45 days.  Each XEN is encrypted.

If you are not familiar with XEN is it just like VMWare ESX but free.

If you would like we can set up some XEN servers for your testing.  If
all goes well
who knows maybe that will be our new side business pen-testing hosting...hmmm

James