Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: TELNET and SMTP

From: "Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullrich () loop de>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 20:04:16 +0200

Am Samstag 07 Juli 2007 schrieb wymerzp () sbu edu:
Hello all,
I'm looking at a client's site and they have unprotected access to port 25
(i.e. I can telnet to it and issue commands). When I attempt to send an
email I get this message '553 Relaying is not supported'. My question is

Yes, funny eh ? Relaying is not allowed to prevent spam. Contact the
postmaster of this system, to allow it for your hosts or for special
domaines.

two-fold: 1)What could I do with the unprotected SMTP access if I can't
send mail. 2)What purpose do you believe that the SMTP service provides?
Does the SMTP simply recieve!?!? Thank you all, Zach

Receiving will be allowed for all domaines, this server is responsible for.

Regards

Hans-J. Ullrich

Swap Out your SPI or Watchfire app sec solution for
Cenzic's robust, accurate risk assessment and management
solution FREE - limited Time Offer

http://www.cenzic.com/wf-spi