Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Discovering Live Hosts

From: "Lee Lawson" <leejlawson () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 08:34:11 +0100

Right, first thing, definitions.

Vulnerability Assessment - Identifying any vulnerabilities that exist
on a computer system, this will involve port scanning, enumeration,
service probing and scanning with something like Nessus/Nikto etc.

Penetration Testing - All of the above, but continuing to actual
exploit a computer system to gain control and therefore irrefutably
prove the existance of the vulnerability.

Neither of them are limited to a LAN or a WAN/Internet.

Second...

Is your target range on the same LAN segment as you?  Can you get your
testing computer on the same LAN segment for testing?  If yes, use
arping which comes with a lot of Linux distro's.  Unfortunately,
unless it's been updated, it cannot natively take a list of IP's from
a file, but that can be scripted.  You may even be able to ping the
broadcast address and view your own ARP cache for entries (but
unlikely).

If you target IP address range is on a different LAN segment,
separated by a router for example, which essentially is the same
situation for port scanning as testing another LAN over the Internet,
then you are limited to port scanning.  I would forget UDP scanning as
the responses would not be reliable.  You could try nmap with the ping
options as already mentioned, or nmap with straight TCP scanning.
There's nothing wrong with doing this:
nmap -sT -vv -P0 -p 80 -iL target_file -oN output_file
Then searching through the output_file for all active responses such
as open or closed ports.  Once you have that list, you can concentrate
on the non-responders and try further scans to determine if they are
active.

Remember that an open port, closed port, ARP response (get the MAC
address) or possibly a DNS resolution (although you may find
tombstoned entries!) all tell you that a computer is active.

done.
/mail