Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Discovering Live Hosts

From: "John M. Martinelli" <john () martinelli com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 02:31:49 -0400

Since when?

If I'm auditing an intrusion detection system on my LAN, I would consider that I'm penetration testing, not performing a vulnerability assessment.

Regards,
John Martinelli
RedLevel.org Security

On Aug 8, 2007, at 2:04 AM, Nikhil Wagholikar wrote:

Hello Jure,

Performing scans from within target LAN is called Vulnerability
Assessment, and doing the same thing from other LAN or outside IP
Address/Addresses is called Penetration Testing.

I have clearly mentioned that the scenario is applicable for
Pen-Testing. Kindly suggest the same answer from Pen-Testing point of
view.

Thanks for your suggestion. This suggestion will be usefull for
Vulnerability Assessors.

---
Nikhil Wagholikar
Information Security Analyst