Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: [WEB SECURITY] HTTP Proxy for thick clients

From: "Ofer Shezaf" <OferS () Breach com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:24:35 -0400

Hi Huan,

If you can set the host name or server IP you can use a proxy that can act
as a reverse proxy, for example WebScarab (I don't know if Paros or Burp can).

If the application uses a host name that is embedded in the code, you could still use a reverse proxy by editing your
hosts file to point this name to the local machine.

I'm not aware of any transparent reverse proxy that can change traffic.

One caveat might be SSL usage. Whether using a reverse proxy would work or not depends on the level of certificate
validation done. For sure client side certificates would make using a reverse proxy impossible. Server side
certificates might work if the application is not fuzzy about them.

~ Ofer Shezaf
ofers () breach com, Phone:+972-9-9560036 #212, Cell: +972-54-4431119
CTO, Breach Security; Chair, OWASP Israel; Leader, ModSecurity Core Rule Set Project;